Monday, September 21, 2015

Setting Worthwhile Goals

If you believe it you can achieve it; my Dad told me as a young child. I had dreamed of being a state champion wrestler. As the years moved by, that dream became reality. As I drove back to my hometown the weekend after the state championships my name was plastered all over the business billboards and all over the newspapers. The local channels interviewed me and my picture was placed on the hall of fame where it still stands today.

All of this was a product of a “GOAL” I had set at the young age of 8 to be a state champion. I had pasted it all over the walls in my room. That goal drove me to run longer, work harder and do things that others wouldn’t think of doing. Early mornings, late practices, long hours drilling and lifting weights while my friends hung out, played video games, watched movies and reminisced about girls.

Fast-forward a few years. My companion and I are kneeling down in prayer, seeking guidance and assistance as we prepared to preach the gospel and minister the good news to our brothers and sister. You see we had set a goal to find someone to commit to baptism by the end of the week. We were newly transferred in and I was training a new missionary who was on his second transfer in the field, Elder Haws. There had not been a baptism for quite some time and missionaries were working to build the trust of the branch members. Later that day we were inspired to stick around this apartment complex. We had several appointments cancel or not show earlier that day. Elder Haws and I headed back to the car to figure out what to do next. We were both feeling tired and let down. As we walked toward the car I had a distinct impression to turn around and stay there. Knock some doors or do some street contacting. It no sooner was revealed as to the reason why, as we ran into Mandy. A single mother at that time, searching and praying for assistance and guidance that same moment we walked up to her apartment building, She called down to us asking who we were and what we were doing. 2 months later her and her 3 children entered the waters of baptism.

Both of these true stories were crucial in developing who I am today. They both built character and they built my faith. One built faith in the power of thought and belief and the other built faith in the Lord. Both of which are good.

However not all goals are good or worthwhile. Take a look at the example of Amalickiah. His goal was to become the king of the Lamanites. His goals and ambitions lead him to lying, deceiving and last of all murder. He did whatever it took to accomplish his evil design. [1]

Look at Satan today. The scriptures teach us that his goal is to have us choose captivity and death, according to the captivity and power of the devil; for he seeketh that all men might be miserable like unto himself.[2] Unfortunately, he has been very successful in accomplishing this goal through deceit and subtle temptations, slowly leading one down to hell.[3]

Today, We need to make a stance against his goal of “captivity and death.” We need all, both old and young, male and female to make a fixed and determined resolution to choose liberty and eternal life through the great mediator of all men.[4] We need young men and woman to serve faithful missions. We need to stand in holy places now more than ever!

WE NEED TO MAKE WORTHWHILE GOALS:
In this life there are things to act (that’s us, we have the ability to act and to do) and there are things to be acted upon. The things to be acted upon are our goals.[5] Amulek said this, “For Behold, this life is the time for men to prepare to meet God; yea, behold the day of this life is the day for men to perform their labors.[6]

You noticed it did not say this life is the day to sleep in, or to perform our best at our favorite “video game.” He did not say perform countless wasted hours by flipping through social media to see who can find the most pintresting facts and pictures. He said, “TODAY IS THE DAY TO PERFORM YOUR LABORS. TODAY IS THE DAY TO PREPARE TO MEET GOD! TODAY!

You see now is the time to set and accomplish your goals. Amulek said, “Today.”

To you young men, make the goal “TODAY” to serve a full time mission: This will drive you to other goals to prepare yourself physically and spiritually. If you have not decided yet if this is your path. Get on your knees so that Lord can tell you that he needs you to serve. I promise you will never regret the decision to serve the Lord in any capacity.

To those of whom are just coming home or graduating from high school, Pursue your education: You can never be too educated.

For each of us we should set a goal to Love The Lord our God, for he said, “If you love me keep my commandments.[7]

Set a goal to attend the temple and to marry in the temple.

Set a goal to resist temptation: We know ourselves better than most others. We know our weaknesses. Pray and fast for strength to resist temptations. I find this a very admirable goal.

Set a goal to have daily scripture study and daily Personal and family prayer.

You see my goal to win the state championship lead to actions and accomplishments along the way that built character and strength. I wouldn’t be the man I am today had I not walked that path.

Likewise, our ultimate goal is to live with our heavenly father again to be sealed up unto everlasting life.[8] As we keep our eyes on the prize, this will lead to actions and accomplishments along the way that will build us into the likeness and image of him who sent us, our eternal Father in Heaven. This is my humble prayer and testimony in the name of Jesus Christ, Amen.


[1] Alma. 47:1
[2] 2 Nephi. 2:27
[3] 1 Nephi 14:3
[4] 2 Nephi 2:27
[5] 2 Nephi 2:13-14
[6] Alma 34:32
[7] John 14:15
[8] D&C 131:5

2 comments:

Stephanie Humphreys said...

Thanks for sharing this Tory. This is something I have been thinking about lately and I enjoyed reading your thoughts on the subject.

Dan said...

Really liked this. I completely agree with all that was said. Right now I feel alot like Nephi who had the faith that God would prepare the way that he could accomplished what he had been asked to do. Keep the Faith! Love you guys!